Sunday, 21 May 2017

1947. Desert Island Scouts. (1 Photo)






1947. New Head Mistress At The Girls Technical School. (9 Photo's)

Tonbridge Technical Institute, later the Technical High School for Girls 
and now the Adult Education Centre and Library.


Head Mistress Miss Coward 1963

School photo taken at the new school at Tudeley Lane, 
then called Tonbridge Technical High School For Girls.




All the other teachers at that time.







Saturday, 20 May 2017

1894. William Howard's Tailoring Shop. 4 Barden Road. (Photo's and history)


News article from the Tonbridge Free Press Saturday 16 June 1894, 
kindly lent by the Hildenborough Historical Society.

Looking at the photo it appears this was originally two shops, 
perhaps verified by the fact that the shop is 4 on some documents and 5 on others.







William Henry Howard was born in London in 1852, his father, a Master Tailor, married Angelina Jenkins from Tunbridge Wells in Shoreditch, London in 1851.
They moved to 2 Camden Cottages, Warwick Road, Tunbridge Wells.
William lived here with his family until his marriage to Frances Ravilious, a Tonbridge girl, in 1875.

They opened their tailors shop in Barden Road, in 1876. 
Between 1880 and 1893 they had two daughters and seven sons and between 1891 and 1899 the family move their shop to 66 High Street.

On 4 October 1899 at the age of 47 William dies, leaving £605 11s. to his wife Frances.
She carries on the business until 1909, when aged 58 she emigrates with her six of her sons and one daughter, aged from 18 to 29, to New Westminster, British Colombia,  Canada.  She is supported by three of her sons who have followed in their father's footsteps by becoming Tailor's, and also by taking in lodgers.

Frances dies in Port Moody, British Colombia on 4 August 1945 aged 95.

Sunday, 23 April 2017

1899. Boy Aged 12 Shoots Himself. (1 Photo)


Old Dry Hill, now the beginning of Shipbourne Road.


Frank Annison was born in Tonbridge in 1886, his father was a Grocer who had a shop at 120 High Street.
The field where he shot himself belonged to Ernest Harris, a dairy farmer and Solicitor's Clerk, who lived at Dry Hill Farm, 15 Shipbourne Road, two houses before the George and Dragon at number 17, on Dry Hill.

Frank went to a boarding school in Cranbrook with one of his brothers and joined the Army in March 1916, only to be discharged 200 days later with health problems.
He married Mabel Rogers in 1916 and they had a daughter in 1927.

In 1934 he is a Dairy farmer living in Leigh and he dies in 1958.
I wonder if he still had the bullet somewhere in his groin.

Monday, 17 April 2017

1951. Spot The Difference. Tonbridge High Street North. (2 Photo's)


One for Easter

There are 8 changes (Not including the headings, which are slightly different)
One change may be hard to find depending on the devise you are using.